The news media is in total surprise at the events of these past few days. The steadfastness of the Ukrainians to defend their country in this time of incredible testing is beyond belief.
We are seeing the same steadfastness and support from our Y family…in Ukraine, across Europe and around the world.
Years ago when Y was just beginning in Europe and we were establishing our first operating locations, Loren shared a vision of our centers being established one day’s travel distance from each other. That way we could go to the nearest Y center when a need or crisis arose. That is exactly what is happening right now!
Poland, where most refugees are fleeing has opened its doors and Y is there to take in our Ukrainian family. The same is happening in Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Moldova and even in countries further away like Germany and others. The response of our brothers and sisters to move over, make room, prepare food and receive their Ukrainian Y family members is amazing.
Worldwide Y response to this crisis has been unbelievable and perhaps a wonderful healing in our world after the divisive times brought about by Covid.
Our base in Ternopil is now the processing center for the thousands of refugees coming from Eastern Ukraine to Western Ukraine. They were quick to bring in the pastors of the churches in the city and were able to build a very effective network that went into action very quickly. They report that people have responded wholeheartedly throughout the area. A grocer called and asked if they needed groceries for the refugees. He brought a truckload. A bakery called and asked if they could use any cakes. Of course they could, and so 20 cakes were delivered to the Y center.
* Offerings are being taken by our Y family all over the world and we are able to keep the flow going.
Lots of miracles are being reported:
- A transport carrying a number of Russian soldiers suddenly stopped in the middle of the city of Kharkiv. The soldiers jumped out of the transport and began running in the other direction, leaving the transport truck behind. Who knows what spiritual ambushment they may have perceived that prompted them to run away?
- A thirteen-year-old boy who had never driven a car, loaded a vehicle with young children and drove them to safety.
- For our Y family waiting in lines to get across the borders, Polish border takes two days or more. Pray that they can be settled into homes and be taken care of and for safety for the men left behind.
- Pray that those who are serving in the country will minister in the power of the Holy Spirit, it is the soul that needs feeding as much as the body at this time. Many hearts to be mended.
- Pray for our Y family in Russia. They are reaching out to the worldwide family to not be rejected because of the actions of their leaders and they are taking bold steps to speak out. In the long run, they will suffer greatly from all of this, economically and otherwise.
Keep praying! We will hear many stories as this continues to unfold.
Al Akimoff and the Slavic Ministries Team
* Donations can be made via www.ywamslavicministries.org/donate 100% of the funds will go to the needs in Ukraine and Ukrainian refugees at Y locations in surrounding nations.